Friday, July 13, 2012

anas

Here is what you posted:" Hello everybody. While I was trying to solve this problem,I found a contradiction,and that confuses me because all the equations that I used are right.well,let me clarify: First of all,I calculated the Force of the air = bV^2=410^-5 Then I calculated the weight of the feather,AKA Fmg=mg=0,01 After that,until I know the final force applied on it,I calculated the difference: P-F air=9,9610^-3 Okay,then,until I get the acceleration value,I used the Newton equation : F=ma to figure it out,I of course used the final force (9,9610^-3),but and here's the surprise,I find the value of acceleration :9,96 m/s^2,and that just blows my mind up ! It's a too high value and,as described earlier in the course,the feather fall very slowly (almost at a constant speed). Could you please clarify this for me,show me if there's a mistake in my measurement. P.S:I couldn't find the speed using only the acceleration that I've calculated,I tried to use the system that was given as a solution in the unit,but in vain,there's a lot of unknown variables. Thank you."
Now I am trying to figure out what you did and I have some questions:

What you wroteA questionComments
Force of the air = bV^2=410^-5We don't know V or V^2. I don't understand where you got 410^-5.We know only:
  • Weight of feather = .001 kg
  • Feather resistance equation of bV^2
  • b = .04
Then I calculated the weight of the feather,AKA Fmg=mg=0,01The weight of the feather is a given. It is .001 kgNo calculation is necessary
P-F air=9,9610^-3I don't know what this is a calculation of or how you did the calculation
I find the value of acceleration :9,96 m/s^2The acceleration down is gravity at 10 m/s/s. What was it that surprised you?
Could you please clarify this for me,show me if there's a mistake in my measurement.For me to do this, I need to see your calculations.I need more data from you.
I couldn't find the speed using only the acceleration that I've calculatedThe problem is to express the forces up and down; set them equal; and solve for V.This is what I did in my posted answer.
There's a lot of unknown variablesYou have over achieved and been stumped. Your approach did not work out for you. Time to try another.

No comments:

Post a Comment